Luxury is certainly a relative term, but there is no doubt that high-end fashion, jewelry, collectibles, vehicles and vacation rentals are in a league of their own. When comparing the world’s premier luxury online marketplaces, credibility is paramount. Among others, online shoppers seeking luxury items are concerned first and foremost with three variables: security, quality and price.
Whether you are in search of yachts, helicopters, exotic cars, real estate, vintage and modern furniture, fashionable clothing, or high-end jewelry, you are encouraged to shop around for the best possible deals. Luxury items are readily available at myriad online marketplaces, so how do you know which marketplaces are worthy of your consideration? This comprehensive guide will evaluate 6 of the finest luxury online marketplaces and present you with the pros and cons of each, so that you can make the best possible decision.
James Edition – The World’s Luxury Marketplace
James Edition connects sellers and buyers with one another to facilitate commission-free transactions. This luxury online marketplace focuses solely on high-end items in each of its luxury asset categories. Buyers will be able to search for a wide range of luxury items including yachts, airplanes, vintage cars, superbikes, sail boats, helicopters, real estate, jewelery and so forth. Buyers and sellers are located worldwide, and James Edition brings them together to facilitate the trades. All of the items available through James Edition are vetted to meet the highest standards.
Buyers will be able to compete with one another for the best possible deals in each of the high-end categories. Such is the technological advancement and innovation of this online marketplace that buyers will be able to find a wide range of luxury items from multimillion dollar yachts to sparkling jewels. A wide range of brands is featured in real estate, helicopters, jets, yachts, cars, watches and motorcycles. Customers can also enjoy vacation rentals and yacht charters as part of the James Edition experience.
Pros of James Edition
- James Edition charges users a fixed fee when they list items on site – no commissions are charged on any transactions
- James Edition reaches 1 million people in 113 countries every month
- James Edition has strict requirements when it comes to the quality of listed items
- James Edition has won international acclaim as a luxury online marketplace
Cons of James Edition
- James Edition is not infallible to fake listings
- James Edition is not a trustee service nor do they certify private sellers or dealers
- James Edition only features top-end items which are not within everybody’s price range
Shop Hers is an online marketplace that caters exclusively to pre-owned designer fashions. It is also the only such luxury online marketplace of its kind. Among others, buyers can purchase the following brand name fashionable items: Valentino Heels, Cartier Rings, Chanel Wallets, Balenciaga Shoulder Bags, Kenzo Clutch, Comme Des Garcons Clutch, Chanel Flats, Christian Louboutin Heels, Salvatore Ferragamo Shoulder Bag, Yves Saint Laurent Heels, Love Moschino Clutch, Tom Ford Sunglasses, Prada and more. All goods at Shop Hers are curated to verify quality and authenticity.
Pros of Shop Hers
- Shop Hers features 100% authenticated merchandise
- Shop Hers is the only seller luxury marketplace that exclusively sells pre-owned fashion items
- Shop Hers is fully accredited by the Better Business Bureau
- Shop Hers accepts returns
- Shop Hers offers mobile buying and selling
Cons of Shop Hers
- Shop Hers requires a registration before you can gather any information on fees
- Shop Hers sets the price
Vaunte – The World’s Most Stylish Marketplace
Vaunte was established with the goal of ‘humanizing’ e-commerce. The company does this by curating emotional desires, fostering the excitement of fashion and maximizing the satisfaction of its buyers and sellers. The categories of items include women’s, men’s and kids fashion items, with multiple brands on offer including Adidas, Ann Klein, Calvin Klein, Cashmere made by Stefanel, John Hardy, Wes Gordon, vintage ring, St John, Timo Weiland and scores of others. You can buy and sell on site by completing a quick registration. The founder and CEO of the company is Leah Park and the headquarters are located at 40 Exchange Place, Suite #602 in New York City.
Pros of Vaunte
- Vaunte sports a massive inventory of fashion items
- Vaunte has strong brand presence on the Internet
- Vaunte buyer protection is available
- Vaunte guarantees the authenticity of all items sold on the site
Cons of Vaunte
- Vaunte determines which are the featured profiles and only those get top billing
- Vaunte only accepts returns on Vaunte listed items not member listed items
The Real Real – Authenticated Luxury Consignment
The Real Real offers a large selection of authenticated luxury goods, all of which are preowned. Among others, buyers can find luxury fashions, fine arts, watches and jewelery. Brand names include Van Cleef & Arpels, Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Prada, Celine, Jimmy Choo, Burberry, Christian Louboutin, Burberry and others. There are also top tier watch brands in jewelry items including David Yurman, Chopard, Tiffany & Co, Bvlgari, Rolex and more.
Pros of TheRealReal
- Mobile buying and selling is available
- Consignments can receive up to 70% of the sale price
- Extensive range of authenticated luxury goods on offer
- Many items feature original tags, authenticity cards and dust bags
- Counterfeit merchandise will not be returned to the consignor
- In-house gemologists and professionals appraise and authenticate merchandise
- Shipping to multiple countries in the Americas, Europe, Asia/Pacific, Middle East & Africa
Cons of TheRealReal
- Scores of promotional codes can make it difficult and confusing to find the best deals
Worthy – Sell Your Valuables for More
Worthy is the first pre-owned luxury online marketplace in the world. As such, this is one of the most sought-after auction platforms on Internet, and buyers and sellers routinely flock to this safe and secure site to sell high-end jewelry items. Worthy facilitates secure transactions between buyers and sellers via an auction platform. All goods that are placed on auction are inspected for quality, authenticity and value. Only premium-grade items will be showcased at the Worthy auction site. Sellers will receive complimentary shipping, insurance and a free appraisal of their jewelry item. The list of accepted items includes the likes of: watches, rings, loose diamonds, earrings, necklaces, precious metals, bracelets and more. Free estimates are provided to all sellers, and once sellers accept an offer from the buyer, payments will be transferred in short order.
Pros of the Worthy Auction Platform
- Worthy offers 100% seller protection
- Worthy is A + rated by the Better Business Bureau (BBB)
- Worthy does not list any fake items – everything is certified high-quality by in-house gemologists
- Worthy is certified by the department of consumer affairs of NYC
- Worthy accepts a wide range of payment options including PayPal
- Worthy provides in-house appraisals of all your luxury jewelry items as a complimentary service to sellers
- Worthy will return your items if you do not agree to the buyers’ bids
- Worthy is transparent, credible and rated as the best second-hand jewelry marketplace in the world
Cons of the Worthy Platform
- Worthy only accepts items with an estimated resale value of $1,000 or more, which may limit their offerings
Ritz Bazaar – Sell or Lend High End Fashion Items
Ritz Bazaar is unique in its offering since it allows individuals to sell high-end fashion items that they have bought on impulse, or simply just wish to rid themselves of, or alternatively to lend clothing items to lovers of high fashion. While this service is not suited to everyone, there is definitely a market for it out there. Ritz Bazaar is a luxury online sales and lending service for high fashion items. For sellers, the listing fee is 10% of the sale, and the listing fee for rental sales is 10% for self-serve and 20% for full serve listings. Customers can shop at an online luxury marketplace that is bursting at the seam with high-end fashion items. Among others the service allows for hotel delivery, returns, alterations to orders, a full sizing guide, self-serve and full serve sellers.
Pros of Ritz Bazaar
- Rentals and sales are available at Ritz Bazaar
- Luxury goods available at cut rate prices
Cons of Ritz Bazaar
- The site is riddled with spelling errors and complexity
- Ritz Bazaar only caters to Washington D.C. and surrounds
- Renting second-hand shoes and clothing is not appealing to everyone
- There is a degree of confusion about self-serve and full-serve selling options
Whatever it is you are looking to buy or sell, these are some great examples for all types of luxury items. If it’s high-end jewelry or watches you are looking to sell, contact us and we’ll tell you how we can help you get the most for your pre-owned valuables.