Sell Your Engagement Ring After Divorce
Last updated: June 23, 2019
Many women come to us with the purpose of selling an engagement ring after a divorce--a task that we do not take lightly. We understand that this may be a very difficult time, and believe that all clients deserve worthy offers for a ring that is no longer meaningful or desirable.
- Why Sell an Engagement Ring After Divorce
- Where Can You Sell Your Engagement Ring After Divorce
- How to Sell Your Engagement Ring After Divorce
- Understanding Your Engagement Ring’s Value
Why Sell An Engagement Ring After DivorceEach person’s reason to sell their engagement ring after divorce is unique, however if you are considering selling your ring, here are a few things to consider.
- The Ring Is Yours. In most cases and in most states, an engagement ring is considered a gift from the husband to the wife and therefore, even after divorce, the ring belongs to the wife and she can do with it as she pleases.
- Your Ring Is a Financial Asset. While it might not immediately seem like it, a diamond ring is definitely a financial asset that can be sold to finance a variety of different things, including paying off debt, home improvements or renovations, a nest egg for potential investments, or even a way to pay tuition for college for you or your children.
- Drop the Karma. While it may seem small and insignificant, your engagement ring can be one of the last ties to a former marriage that keeps you from moving on. By selling it, you can fully rid yourself of any negative ties to your marriage and get going with your next chapter.
Where Can You Sell Your Engagement Ring After Divorce
- Local jewelry stores - Since jewelry shops typically have high overhead, it is in their best interest to sell jewelry they’ve purchased wholesale. Some local stores do offer fair pricing but this can be very difficult to find and the process can be lengthy. At the same time, this is generally a safe, secure way to sell unwanted jewelry.
- Consignment shops - Because consigning jewelry can be a long, drawn-out process and consignment rates average 20 to 50 percent, this option tends to benefit buyers far more than it does sellers. As with a jewelry store, a consignment shop will take care of advertising on your behalf. It is usually safe, however, it’s highly recommended to check the shop’s reviews.
- Pawn shops - Despite what we’ve seen on TV, most pawn shops simply cannot offer fair market value for jewelry and make a profit at the same time. It’s usually fast and easy to make a deal, and it is often safe, although sellers must take precautions and research the shop’s reputation.
- eBay - Unless you are a power seller, it’s likely that you will have trouble selling an engagement ring on eBay, simply due to the fact that many buyers are wary of sellers who haven’t yet established great reputations. Furthermore, it can be difficult to obtain a fair market value as most buyers are looking for great deals. It’s true that you get to set your own price with eBay; even so, only about 5 percent of diamond rings offered for sale actually sell. If you choose to sell your diamond engagement ring using eBay, be very careful as scams are common.
- Worthy - Worthy establishes trust with buyers by grading every diamond during the pre-sale process. Since we use technology designed to attract qualified, interested buyers to your auction listing, multiple buyers compete and you receive a truly fair market value price for your item. We handle photography, packing, shipping, and full insurance on your behalf, and sales conclude quickly, with payment arriving shortly after. You have several payment options from which to choose. Worthy is safe; all items are insured for up to $100,000 from the moment they leave your hands until the time they are shipped to the purchaser.
While there are many places to sell engagement rings, Worthy is the safest, smartest way to sell your diamond and move forward with your life. We know that the decision to sell an engagement ring is an emotional one - and we do all that we can to ease the stress that often accompanies this decision. We do this by facilitating your sale as quickly and easily as possible.
100% Seller Protection
Consumer confidence is of utmost importance to us here at Worthy. That is why, one of our first steps was to be accredited and graded by the BBB. Like them, we uphold the value in transparency, honesty, and legitimate business practices.
More About Our Seller Protection Policy.
How to Sell Your Engagement Ring the Smart Way with WorthySelling your engagement ring is an emotional decision that you alone can make. If you have decided to sell your engagement ring after divorce, it pays to do it the right way. Worthy offers a simple and efficient way of selling your engagement ring that allows you to get the most for your ring without having to leave the comfort of your home. Our online auction platform makes your ring available to hundreds of professional buyers looking to buy rings just like yours and able to make worthy offers. As we like to say, sell smart, get more.
- Submit Your Item. Tell us a bit about your engagement ring, such as the setting type, diamond carat size, and shape, and we'll tell you if it's suitable for auction.
- Secure FedEx Pickup. We’ll provide you with insurance for up to $100,000 and a prepaid shipping label addressed to our headquarters.Luxury Item ProtectionWorthy provides up to $100,000 in insurance coverage for every shipment. We trust Lloyd's of London, a global leader in insurance since 1688, to protect all valuables auctioned on our platform.Click here for more about our item protection policy
- Grading and Auction Preparation. Once your item arrives at our offices in New York, it is cleaned, professionally photographed, and sent for a complimentary diamond grading at a top gemological lab, such as GIA, so that you know exactly what you have.100% Seller ProtectionWe only trust the best diamond grading lab in the world, GIA, to grade valuables prior to auction. Diamonds sold with GIA grading reports are considered more valuable and can command higher prices.More About Our Seller Protection Policy.
- Auction. Professional jewelry buyers are invited to bid on your ring based on the flawless photographs and detailed report. You are able to watch the auction map live as the bids roll in.
- Get Paid. If the highest offer meets or exceeds your reserve price, you get paid almost immediately. If not, you have the option to have your ring returned to you free of charge and fully insured.
Recently Sold Engagement Rings:
Great website, super fast sale and great people to work with.
Francesca Ruini · Yarmouth Port, Massachusetts
A Diamond Ring
LATEST SUCCESS STORIES
See what sellers on our marketplace have to say:
Understanding Your Engagement Ring’s ValueThe factors below contribute to the market demand for an engagement ring:
- The 4 C’s: color, cut, clarity and carat weight. These are the biggest factors that determine your engagement ring’s value. Worthy will send your ring to a gemological lab to determine these characteristics and you will receive a diamond grading report to share with potential buyers.
- Shape is a secondary but still important factor to consider about your diamond. While some shapes, like round or emerald, are always popular, others, like pear and marquee, go in and out of style.
- The metal can also affect the value of your ring. Platinum rings tend to be the most valuable.