Sell Your Wedding Ring After Divorce For More
Last updated: November 04, 2019
After divorce, wedding and engagement rings often turn into painful reminders of a relationship that came to an end. Selling your unworn wedding ring is a simple way to rid yourself of that reminder, as well as a simple way to transform it into funds that you can use toward projects, vacations, or a new piece of jewelry that you love.
- Why sell your wedding ring after divorce?
- Places to sell a wedding ring
- How to sell a wedding ring with Worthy
- What factors affect the value of a wedding ring?
- Items Worthy accepts
Why Sell Your Wedding Ring After Divorce?If your wedding ring symbolizes loss or a broken promise, it makes sense to sell it. We interviewed past clients, who shared their reasons for selling their wedding rings after their own marriages had come to an end.
- Releasing a symbol of the past also releases emotional barriers; the final sale is one more way to say “goodbye” to a relationship that ended in divorce.
- Your ring is a financial asset. The proceeds from its sale can be directed towards a rainy day fund, college savings or your retirement account.
- Selling a wedding ring can help fund your fresh start, whether that is a great vacation, starting a business or help pay for higher education.
- Selling wedding rings after divorce makes room in your mind and heart for a new relationship.
- Better offers. Selling your ring with Worthy give you access to our national network of pre-vetted jewelry buyers. The auction platform encourages competition, helping you get more money for your wedding ring. Single-buyer operations lack this advantage.
- Prepaid, fully insured shipping. When you decide to move forward with selling your ring, you’ll receive a printable shipping label via email. Your ring will be insured for up to $100,000 from the moment the shipper receives it to the end of the auction, when it is sold to the top bidder.
- Complimentary grading. Worthy partners with the world’s best gemological labs including GIA, where your ring is professionally graded, cleaned, and photographed in preparation for sale. Our grading process helps you understand what you have prior to sale and helps you get more by enhancing both transparency and buyer trust.
- Simple process. Instead of taking your ring to local pawn shops and jewelers who might or might not be interested, save time and stress by printing a prepaid, insured shipping label and scheduling a FedEx pickup. We take care of everything else including grading, cleaning, professional photography, and marketing efforts on your behalf.
- Work with a dedicated account manager. Selling your wedding ring with Worthy means working with an account manager who walks you through each step of the process and keeps you updated. You will always know where your ring is and what is happening with it.
100% Seller Protection
Consumer confidence is of utmost importance to us here at Worthy. That is why, one of our first steps was to be accredited and graded by the BBB. Like them, we uphold the value in transparency, honesty, and legitimate business practices.
More About Our Seller Protection Policy.
Places to Sell Wedding Ring After DivorceWe understand that a once-beloved piece of jewelry can carry painful emotional weight after your marriage has ended. Among our goals is a quick resolution that allows you to move forward with your new life without spending weeks or even months worrying about whether your ring will sell, wondering how much you will receive, or if your chosen method for selling your wedding ring is safe. At the same time, we believe that it is important to be well-informed. There are many viable ways to sell a wedding ring after divorce, each with different positive and negative aspects.
Local jewelry stores - Since jewelers cover the cost of doing business by selling jewelry, most are reluctant to buy it back for fair market value. This makes a lot of sense from a business perspective; like everyone, local jewelers have essential costs to cover. There are some exceptions, meaning that certain local jewelers may be able to offer competitive pricing. If you decide to attempt a local sale, you will need to get estimates from multiple shops to ensure that you receive the best possible offer.
Consignment shops - Just like jewelry stores, consignment shops can take a long time to move product, meaning that it could be weeks or even months before you receive any money. Additionally, these shops have costs to cover and this means consignment rates as high as 50 percent. Like jewelry stores, consignment shops are usually safe places to do business.
Pawn shops - Pawn shops are well-regulated and most are safe to work with. They offer you cash immediately which can be a lifesaver in a time of dire emergency. At the same time, pawn shops rarely offer competitive pricing. If you must pawn your wedding ring, check at least a few different shops to ensure that you receive the best possible offer under the circumstances.
eBay - Unfortunately, eBay has been targeted by scammers and trust is low for all but the most experienced sellers with the highest ratings. Unless you have a well-established reputation on eBay, it’s not likely that you’ll receive good offers on your ring. If you do have an active, well-rated seller’s account on eBay, you may receive some good bids for your ring. Keep in mind that eBay is jam-packed with bargain jewelry, and only about 5 percent of diamond sales are successful.
Worthy - From the beginning to the end of every transaction, Worthy shines in the areas of convenience, safety, trust, and value. We start by offering up to $100,000 in insurance that covers your wedding ring along every step of the way. We clean, photograph, and appropriately market your ring to our audience of interested, pre-vetted buyers. Trust is enhanced via our grading process, which we accomplish with the help of top gemological laboratories such as GIA. As multiple buyers compete, your ring’s price increases. Once sold, your ring is shipped to the buyer and you receive your money right away using the method of payment you prefer. The entire process is fast, simple, and designed to be as stress-free as possible.
How to Sell Your Wedding Ring With Worthy:Selling your wedding and engagement ring is an emotional decision that you alone can make. If you have decided to sell your wedding ring after divorce, it pays to do it the right way. Worthy offers a simple and efficient way of selling your ring that allows you to get the most for your item without having to leave the comfort of your home. Our online auction platform makes your ring available to hundreds of professional buyers looking to buy rings just like yours and able to make worthy offers. As we like to say, sell smart, get more.
- Submit Your Item. Tell us a bit about your wedding ring such as setting, shape and carat size, and we'll tell you if it's suitable for auction.
- Secure FedEx Pickup. We’ll provide you with insurance for up to $100,000 and a prepaid shipping label addressed to our headquarters.
- Grading and Auction Preparation. Once your item arrives at our offices in New York, your jewelry is cleaned, professionally photographed, and sent for a complimentary diamond grading at a top gemological lab, such as GIA, so that you know exactly what you have.
- Auction. Professional jewelry buyers are invited to bid on your jewelry based on the flawless photographs and detailed report. You are able to watch the auction map live as the bids roll in.
- Get Paid. If the highest offer meets or exceeds your reserve price, you get paid almost immediately. If not, you have the option to have your jewelry returned to you free of charge and fully insured.
What Determines a Wedding Ring’s Value?Diamond 4Cs: Color, Cut, Clarity, and Carat weight help determined how much your wedding ring is worth. Shape matters, too; if your diamond shape is currently trending and in high demand, it’s likely that you’ll receive more.
Brand: Some brands are worth more than others. For example, wedding rings by top designers such as Tiffany tend to command higher prices than those offered by mall-type jewelry stores.
Age: If your ring is brand-new or a rare vintage piece, it might be worth a bit more than something that’s neither very new nor very old. Every ring is different though; be sure to talk to your account executive about this and any other concerns you have.
Condition: Our jewelry buyers are eager to purchase jewelry in any condition however items in excellent condition do receive better offers than those with signs of wear and tear.
Original design features: If you have a unique or custom wedding ring, it might perform better than a plainer style. It is important to remember that taste is subjective and every buyer has unique concerns.
Metal: The metal can also affect the value of your ring. Platinum rings tend to be the most valuable.
Recently Sold Wedding Rings:
Accepted ItemsWorthy provides its professional buyers with loose diamonds, diamond jewelry, and luxury watches. In case you are wondering whether your wedding ring meets the following qualifications, we’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have.
- Diamond jewelry containing diamonds over .5 carats
- Loose diamonds over .5 carats
- Luxury watches
Luxury Item Protection
Worthy provides up to $100,000 in insurance coverage for every shipment. We trust Lloyd's of London, a global leader in insurance since 1688, to protect all valuables auctioned on our platform.
Click here for more about our item protection policy
LATEST SUCCESS STORIES
See what sellers on our marketplace have to say: