SELL YOUR JEWELRY ONLINE WITH WORTHY
Selling your jewelry used to be difficult. You needed to find someone interested in buying your valuables and hope they were paying you a fair price. But selling diamonds or gemstone jewelry has never been easier thanks to Worthy.
Worthy makes it easy to sell your jewelry for the best price while ensuring your valuables are protected and while keeping our fees low. In the end, you’ll be so glad you decided to sell your piece online with us.
In this article, we will walk you through how our process works. But before that, let’s take a look at why selling your jewelry online makes sense and is the right decision for you.
Why You Should Sell Your Jewelry
There are many reasons you might decide to sell jewelry, and some of them are rather personal. A family heirloom, for example, may be difficult to part with, even though you don’t wear it. Or maybe it’s an engagement ring from a former relationship. Although that part of your life is in the past, the ring may remind you of a bittersweet past experience.
Whatever the reason, when you’re ready to sell your jewelry, it is helpful to know where to sell it. You want a buyer who understands your unique situation, who will make sure you get the highest market value, and who is able to provide secure options.
With Worthy, you get all of this and more. We understand the emotional and financial stresses of selling jewelry, online or in person, and we’re prepared to help you every step of the way. We want you to have the best possible experience when you sell jewelry, so you can confidently use your profits on something you’ll value for years to come.
- Where can you sell your jewelry
- Benefits of selling jewelry with Worthy
- Benefits of Selling Your Jewelry at an Online Auction House
- How to sell jewelry online with Worthy
- Accepted jewelry items
- How to get a fair price for your jewelry
- What factors affect jewelry value
- Data on jewelry auctions in the U.S.
WHERE CAN YOU SELL JEWELRY?
With the fluctuating value of jewelry and diamonds, it is important to choose the very best place to sell your jewelry. That way, you can find someone you can trust who will give you the highest offer in a timely manner.
Many individuals prefer to try selling their jewelry locally first, so they can work with a familiar and trusted buyer. However, many people find that their jeweler has a limited ability to provide a fair offer. As a result, they might decide selling their jewelry online is actually right for them.
Below are the pros and cons of the main available options when it comes to selling your pre-owned fine jewelry:
- Local jewelry stores - When you see diamond jewelry for sale in stores, the prices are marked up significantly. Therefore, jewelers are not normally willing to buy back jewelry at anything close to the original retail price of your jewelry. Some jewelers or buyers may offer you a decent price. However, to find these buyers you will likely need to do a lot of legwork. That means shopping around for estimates until you find a highly competitive offer.
- Consignment shops - While consignment shops are easy to find, they have a few downsides. For one, you will often need to pay a fee that can be as much as up to 50% of the final price. Selling through consignment can also take a long time. And you’ll need to check the shop’s reputation to make sure you’re choosing a trustworthy option.
- Pawnshops - If you are looking for quick cash, a pawn shop can be a good option. But don’t expect high returns and, as with consignment shops, a pawn shop is not always the most reliable or trustworthy option.
- eBay - Selling your jewelry online with eBay may seem tempting as you can easily sell your item from the comfort of your home. However, eBay has an average of one million jewelry items on sale at any given time. And without any sort of expert overseeing the process, you are not likely to get anything close to the true value of your item. On top of that, selling through eBay puts you at risk of falling prey to many different online scams.
- Worthy - Why is Worthy the best way to sell your diamond jewelry? At Worthy, we have developed a unique way to sell your jewelry that ticks all the boxes. By only selling to an exclusive group of qualified buyers, we make it easy to get the best value for your item on the market. quickly, safely, and without hassle.
THE BENEFITS OF SELLING YOUR JEWELRY ONLINE WITH WORTHY
Here at Worthy, we understand that jewelry can hold sentimental value. That’s why, when you make the decision to sell your jewelry, we want you to know that it is in the very best hands.
Our mission is to help our clients sell their jewelry the smart way, by offering a secure, streamlined process that allows them to get the highest market price for their items at auction.
The entire process can be completed from your home. The process is quick, with items selling within an average of 10-14 business days, after which your money is delivered to you fast. And most importantly, your item is kept safe and secure the entire time while we get you the highest price for your item.
As part of our process, Worthy offers
- Full insurance coverage Your item is fully insured from the moment your item leaves your home until it arrives at our offices. When you submit your jewelry, you will immediately receive a prepaid, fully insured, shipping label.
- Complimentary diamond grading. We only trust the best gemological labs in the world to grade your valuables. We take care of cleaning and photographing your items, and have all diamonds graded at the foremost gemological labs such as GIA.
- A Curated & Exclusive Professional Buyers Platform. Get access to our nationwide network of vetted, professional jewelry buyers who are willing to pay top dollar for your your jewelry.
- A Hassle-free process. No need to go looking for the right buyer. We take care of grading, cleaning, and photography, and attracting a worldwide network of professional buyers. All you have to do is schedule a FedEx pickup and set your reserve price. And we'll take care of the rest.
- World Class Customer Service Worthy prides itself on having world-class customer service and communications with our jewelry sellers. Our team will communicate with you throughout the entire process and make sure you’re comfortable every step of the way.
But don’t just take our word for it. Make sure you take a look at some of Worthy’s many terrific customer reviews to get a sense of how much our customers love us.
MORE REASONS TO SELL YOUR JEWELRY WITH WORTHY
When you sell your jewelry with an online jewelry selling partner like Worthy, you can take advantage of several tools and benefits, including:
- Multiple Buyers Bidding - When you sell your jewelry locally, you are only meeting with one buyer at a time. With an online auction platform, you can be sure that multiple buyers will see your item at once, and can bid against each other to drive up the price.
- Increased Profit - Getting your jewelry seen by a greater number of buyers, who are also knowledgeable about the industry, means you will get the highest possible value for your items. That means more money for you.
- Credibility - Your items will be evaluated by gemologists with the highest reputations, so buyers will know exactly what they are getting. They will be more likely to trust that your jewelry is as valuable as you say it is.
- Personalized Assistance - With Worthy, you’ll be assigned an account manager that will help you every step of the way. We’ll keep you updated at all times and take care of nearly all the work required to get you top dollar for your jewelry.
- Update Your Jewelry Collection - Selling your old jewelry can help you to free up space for new jewelry. It also provides you with the cash to make it happen.
How To Sell Your Jewelry Online With Worthy
Let’s walk through the steps so you understand exactly how selling your jewelry with Worthy will work:
- Free Secure Pickup - Describe your valuable with our online submission form and schedule a secure shipment. Your valuable will be shipped to our offices via FedEx and fully insured by brokers at Lloyds of London.
- We Do All The Work - Once your item arrives at our offices, it is screened and put into our secure tracking system.
- We get your valuable ready for auction by carefully cleaning it and having beauty shots taken by professional photographers.
- Then it’s off to be graded by an industry-leading diamond lab like GIA or one of their major colleagues.
- Now it’s time to create an auction listing, complete with the lab grading and beauty shot.
- Set your reserve price, either by using our recommended price guarantee or setting a manual minimum selling price.
- Start your auction!
- Get paid - As offers from vetted professionals come in, you decide what offer to choose. Once the auction has concluded, you will receive the final sale amount minus Worthy’s fee. Choose a payment method and get paid fast.
HOW TO GET THE BEST PRICE FOR YOUR JEWELRY
The immediate benefit of selling jewelry online is plain and simple - more offers. When working with a single jewelry buyer, the value of your jewelry is up to them at any given time. When there are multiple jewelry buyers, the true market value of your jewelry can be more easily and accurately determined. From a larger pool of demand comes a greater likelihood that a fair, even top offer will be made.
Another way to ensure you are getting a fair price for your jewelry is to know exactly what you have. As the attributes of fine jewelry can’t be determined with the naked eye, a diamond grading report from a trusted lab and an expert evaluation are a must-have when looking to sell your jewelry.
LATEST SUCCESS STORIES
About Diamond Jewelry Grading Reports
While you may have received a grading report with your diamond jewelry, know that many stores have their in-house gemologists who make the report, rather than third-party, objective experts. The most reliable diamond grading reports come from the GIA, or Gemological Institute of America. The benefits of a GIA grading report are:
- GIA, a nonprofit organization, is a public benefit research and educational institution and acts as an independent and impartial entity for evaluating the quality of diamonds and gems.
- The grading reports issued by GIA are recognized as the most respected and impartial reporting in the diamond industry.
- A GIA report isn’t an appraisal of financial value; rather it is an assurance of the diamond’s quality, with clear disclosure if the material is natural, synthetic or treated to enhance or alter its appearance.
To sum up, the two main steps to get a fair price for your jewelry are:
- To know exactly what you have, by having your jewelry professionally evaluated and graded.
- To have multiple buyers compete for your item, which results in true market value.
WHAT FACTORS AFFECT JEWELRY VALUE?
Before purchasing a diamond or diamond jewelry, many shoppers do a deep dive into what makes diamonds so expensive. So too should a person selling jewelry know what factors affect the value of their item.
Here are the five biggest factors diamond and jewelry buyers look for when analyzing a piece.
- Carat Weight - The unit of measurement for a diamond’s weight is a carat (200 mg) and the weight of a diamond directly affects its value, with heavier, and usually larger diamonds being more expensive.
- Color Grade - Diamond color is graded on a scale from D to Z, with D being the most colorless and the most desirable. The further down the alphabet, the more color is included in the diamond and, most often, the lesser the value.
- Clarity Grade - While color and size are in some cases visible to the naked eye, clarity is less so. Diamond clarity refers to flaws, both internal and external, within the diamond. The more flawless a diamond, the more expensive it is.Clarity is graded on a scale beginning with Flawless, Internally Flawless, VVS1 or VVS2 (Very Very Slightly Included), VS1 or VS2 (Very Slightly Included), SI1 or SI2 (Slightly Included), and I1, I2 or I3 (Included).
- Cut Grade - Only the eye of an expert can really determine a stone’s cut grade. Cut grade refers to how well the raw diamond was cut to give you the final product you have now. The scale ranges from Excellent to Poor (with Very Good, Good, and Fair in between) and is based on a range of factors like polish, symmetry, weight, durability, and scintillation.
While you will often see pre-owned diamond jewelry for sale, rarely will you find jewelry from famous brands such as:
So when items from recognized brands do come up for sale, they can often fetch much higher prices than similar items without the brand name. The main reason is that brands like Van Cleef & Arpels or Louis Vuitton have maintained their popularity for more than a century, setting the standard for excellence and quality in jewelry. That standard of excellence extends to the diamonds themselves, which are always of exceptional quality.
When it comes to jewelry, just like high fashion, rare cuts, colors, or designs can often attract high prices. However, if a specific style is on-trend, demand will be high. There is also something to be said for classic pieces, such as a round brilliant cut diamond, which will always sell and, depending on the quality of the diamond, sometimes for a very high price.
If your item has marks and scratches on it, you may want to consider having it cleaned and polished in order to be more attractive to potential buyers. Much like buying a home, if a buyer sees flaws like leaks or cracks, they may be too distracted to consider the true worth of the home.
For some jewelry, the older the better. However, it’s important to distinguish between two terms here: vintage jewelry is anything more than 20-30 years old while antique is anything over 100 years old. Sometimes jewelry will be made in an antique or vintage style but the piece itself is new.
JEWELRY YOU CAN SELL WITH WORTHY
What is hot in the market right now, what we recommend you to sell:
- Diamond jewelry containing diamonds that are worth over .5 carats
- Loose diamonds of over 0.5 carats
- Some gemstone jewelry including:
- Luxury watches
INSIGHTS ON JEWELRY AUCTIONS IN THE U.S.
The large amounts of jewelry coming through our offices and being sold through our online auction platform give us a unique insight into trends in pre-owned jewelry sales in the US today. Selling jewelry is becoming more and more popular as people look for new and creative ways to generate income and as people of all ages looking to downsize, either for financial reasons or simply for lifestyle.
- Rings. The bulk of pieces sold through Worthy in 2018 were rings, with 47% of rings sold being bridal sets, 28% solitaire, and 7% three stone rings.
- Diamonds. Of diamonds overall, 50% were round-cut, 20% were princess, and 7% were marquise. When it comes to diamond size, while almost 60% of diamonds sold were under a carat, 34% were between 1-2 carats.
- Branded Jewelry. When it comes to branded jewelry, Tiffany & Co. made up 75% of all branded jewelry auctions made up 75% of all branded jewelry auctions followed by Tacori at 12%.
- Earrings. The top earring diamond earring styles sold on Worthy were studs (74%), drop earrings (10%), and hoops (7%).
- Necklaces. Popular necklace styles were pendants (80%), chains (5%), and collars (4%).
- Bracelets. When it came to bracelet styles tennis bracelets made up half of all bracelets sold (51%), with link (28%) and bangle (12%) coming in at second and third.
Recent Jewelry Deals:
SELL YOUR JEWELRY WITH WORTHY NOW
Now that you understand why Worthy is the best place to sell your jewelry, are you ready to get started? Simply click the button to start submitting your item below, and you’ll be swapping your unwanted valuables for the most money in no time.